9.14.2005

who am I?

You 20 somethings will be shocked to read this, but growing up I had to make do with a black and white tv. Being the youngest it was often my job to change the channels (no remote) and/or hold the antenna if the reception was really bad. We had to wait until my grandparents moved in with us when I was in 3rd grade to upgrade to a color set - they also bought us cable and a Betamax! Talk about the big time!

Anyway, as you might guess we were Catholic school kids, and deciding what to give up for Lent was always a big deal. One year my older sister Monica decided to give up something really really important. No, not chocolate ... watching M.A.S.H. reruns.

What does this have to do with the black & white tv? Well, it was during the Lent that we upgraded to color that Monica gave up M.A.S.H. And wouldn't you know it, it was also during those 40 days that the episode of M.A.S.H. was replayed where everyone wears red. We'd never really gotten the joke, since red and army green look pretty similar on a grainy black and white set. My other sister, my brother and I were laughing and laughing and laughing. And Monica was in the other room asking what was so funny. But she couldn't come see ... she'd give it up for Lent after all.

Why do I bring up this story? I've taken the M.A.S.H. character quiz. I'm Fr. John Francis Patrick Mulcahy. Or, as the quiz site says, "Well, you're not really him; you just resemble this fictional character. A bit. Let's get that straight before you start administering the last rites or teaching nuns how to box."

Quotidian Grace asks the question on Revgalblogpals, will any of the revgals or their blogpals not turn out to be Fr. Mulcahy? A good question ...

No comments: