10.12.2005

Inner Deejay Part 3

My inner deejay this morning for some reason wanted me to have a Duran Duran song stuck in my head. Not any oldie but goodie like Please Please Tell me Now or Planet Earth or even Save a Prayer (yes, as a middle schooler I was a bit of a D2 fan, I’ll admit it. Ok more than a bit.). But no, a later song that I don’t even really like ... Ordinary World.

But I won't cry for yesterday
There's an ordinary world
Somehow I have to find
And as I try to make my way
To the ordinary world
I will learn to survive

Papers in the roadside
Tell of suffering and greed
Here today, forgot tomorrow
Ooh, here besides the news
Of holy war and holy need
Ours is just a little sorrowed talk

And I don't cry for yesterday
There's an ordinary world
Somehow I have to find
And as I try to make my way
To the ordinary worldI will learn to survive


I’ve learned that my inner dejay does not like to be ignored. So what’s the message here? I think I have been feeling a wee bit overwhelmed. By work. By the natural and human made death and destruction in our world. Even by the wonderful news that my Dad’s going to help with my debt and I may be able to head to novitiate next fall. Because that means I’m leaving and have so much to do. But I guess my inner deejay wants me not to cry for yesterday (or even for today when it comes to the news telling of suffering and greed). It’s an ordinary world and our jobs are to find our way ... to more than just survival though. I have loftier goals. I’m looking for the path of and to life.

Ok, Simon (le Bon). You can get out of my head now :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a joy to know someone else who admits to having what I think of as a Freudian soundtrack. Inner deejay is a better phrase, I think. We'd be humming songs from different generations, but with the same tendency to send ourselves messages from the deeps.

Gord said...

My challenge is that my inner dee-jay keeps playing either snippets too small for me to place what song it is or songs from programs my daughter watches.

Last night (around 1 am) I awoke with a song from the NickJr. show Backyardigans in my head. COuldn't shake it, couldn't get back to sleep.