11.23.2005

This week on groovy sister reserves ….

In a few hours I’m headed back into the car for the drive north to my new groovy sister local community. I’m spending a long 5 day holiday weekend there. Tomorrow of course the main event will be Thanksgiving Dinner. We have a full house, I know we’ll have yummy food and good conversation.

Other expected highlights of the weekend.
-Having lunch Saturday at my friend Tom’s parents’ house … he grew up just down the street from my Seattle home. Our house is right across the street from the Church & school he attended as a child. The other day when I went for a walk in the neighborhood I saw a few kids on bikes and I thought, that was Tom! So, it will be fun to meet his parents and get his take on the neighborhood. It is quite funny though, that I’m living with nuns down the street from where he grew up. :)


-Possibly going to see Pride & Prejudice. An all time favorite book. And of course the A&E mini series is the best visual representation of the story so far. But I’m willing to give the movie a chance.

-5 days to get settled into the groove of my new local community.

-Oh, and working on my Christmas cards!

Should be fun. I’ll probably have a chance to check in but just in case I want to wish a safe, happy and blessed Thanksgiving to all my bloggy friends out there.

And it you don’t happen to be in the US and aren’t celebrating this holiday of ours, I hope you have a wonderful whatever you’re doing as well.

Peace Out,
Susan

6 comments:

Mark Mossa, SJ said...

If you do see Pride & Prejudice, here's something to mess with your head a little.

When I taught Pride & Prejudice, one of the things we talked about was the difference between the real Darcy and the Darcy that Elizabeth sees.

So when you assess an actor's performance in the role of Darcy I think it's always a good question to ask: Which Darcy is the actor playing? The real Darcy, misunderstood by Elizabeth? Or the Darcy that Elizabeth sees?

I think Colin Firth plays more Elizabeth's impression of Darcy than the real Darcy. For a sense of what I think Darcy would actually be more like, see the portrayal of Darcy in last year's "Bride & Prejudice," the Bollywood version.

I haven't seen the new film yet, but I'll tell you what I think about this Darcy after I see it.

Have a great, groovy weekend!

Mark

Susan Rose Francois, CSJP said...

Hmmm... that would explain why every woman I know between the ages of 25 and 35 LOVES the Colin Firth version of Darcy. (Me included, along with the fictional Bridget Jones)

Interesting analysis .... I'll have to keep them in mind when I see the film.

Hadn't heard of the Bollywood version. Must find a copy of that!

soul-seeker said...

Enjoy your weekend with your groovy sisters! Happy Thanksgiving!

Peace and blessings to you!

Steph Youstra said...

Have a great time immersing yourself further and deeper into the life .... enjoy!

Lisa said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Susan, and all in the community of bloggers!
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your time!