12.20.2005

alternative giving

This is a repost for all those in the blogosphere who find themselves stressed out or at a loss as the shopping days disappear!

Can't figure out what to get that special someone? Have you considered alternative giving?


  • Buy Local: purchase a special handmade gift at your local craft sale or from a neighborhood store you can walk to.
  • Gifts You Have Created or Recycled: Books, CDs, videos, crafts, wood carving, paintings, and your baked treats. Write a booklet of your favorite recipes, stories, jokes, life experiences, wisdom and poetry.
  • Gifts of Experience: taking others to see Christmas lights, Christmas Eve services, relatives, concerts, plays, or museums.
  • Gifts of Ourselves: breakfast in bed, car washing, garage cleaning, babysitting, yard work, back rubs, or other forms of uninterrupted time.
  • Gifts in Honor of Our Loved Ones: consider donating to a charity or worthy non-profit organization in honor of your family and friends. Another idea is to give 25% of what you spent last year to the needy.
You can read more on my parish peace & justice commission website and at Alternatives for Simple Living.

I like the last option - gifts to those who are really needy in honor of my loved ones. A few years ago I bought a goat through Heifer in honor of my family. This year I'm thinking about buying a beehive kit from Mercy Corps for my family.

You can also download some nifty Buy Me Nothing Coupons.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great suggestions!

Last year I gave, in my family members' names, to a couple of charities I thought they would like to support.

They actually really appreciated it.

St. Casserole said...

This is great! Many thanks.