12.20.2005

My Christmas Eve Walk (part 3)

Read part one or two, or continue below ...

And then, the Third Vignette. On the path, up on the hill, was a still squirrel. Staring at me. So I stopped and stared back, looking into his little eyes. We both stood there for a bit, frozen. And the line from that song came to me, "For you O Lord my soul in stillness waits. Truly my hope is in you." The message being, chill out. Be still. Be quiet. Hope in God. Trust. All will be well.

I took a few more steps and came across the Fourth Vignette. On the other side of the path was another squirrel. He jumped up on the side of a tree and just hung there, sideways. "Hang in there," was the message. So simple and so profound. At this point I started tearing up again, filled with joy, wonder, awe and gratefulness at the way God was breaking through my morning. Giving all as gift. Using the wonders of creation to guide me, comfort me, challenge me, inspire me. For a minute or two I toyed with the idea that I was a mystic!

By this point the ducks had made it to the other side of the lake and so had I. Turning onto another path, I came across the Fifth Vignette. Another squirrel buddy, this one finding shelter under a picnic table. "Shelter me O God." A little squirrel friend joined him, "Community" and together they ran off on a great adventure. This is getting ridiculous, a part of me thought.

I turned onto another path, and found another squirrel – the Sixth and final Vignette. This one was climbing a tree, but he twisted around so I couldn’t see him. But I knew he was still climbing. "Progress may be hidden, but progress there still is. Trust in the process." He then emerged, half way up the tree, and jumped onto a branch. He ran down the branch, then down a sub-branch, trusting, taking risk. He ran back, jumped up to a higher branch. Walked a thin line, followed a branch as it dipped down yet he held on and found what he was looking for – a seed pod. Into his mouth the seed pod went. I thought, is he going to jump down? But no, he hopped up to another more steady branch and enjoyed his find. I watched him for a bit and left him there. He trusted in the process. He took risks. He persevered. He hung on. He was rewarded. And I realized that the same will be true with me.

On my way out of the park, I saw a few trees with buds in bloom, small tiny blossoms. A reminder that I’m still early in the process. I continue to pray for patience. For wisdom. For courage. For the ability to see God when God breaks through. I know that this morning was probably one of the richest prayer experiences I will ever have. Much to ponder here for the future. All is gift. God is gift. Jesus is light in our darkness, made so real to me this day.

Amen. Amen. Amen.

No comments: