12.07.2005

on the job

It's lunch time. I'm sitting at my desk eating Udon Noodle Soup (trying to get rid of a pesky cold and soup is good food don't ya know). Today's been an interesting day at work, half way through.

For one thing people are especially stressed out today. Most folks are it seems, for a variety of reasons. And while I have oodles and oodles of work to do as well, I'm not. I think a big part of it for me is that I'm no longer married to this job. I've got other things to stress out about! Beyond the next nine months or so, I don't really care how the politics and drama play out at work. Which on the one hand is a relief and frees me up to actually get some work done. But on the other hand it is hard to find the motivation at times. In any case, good for me to keep my "whatever" attitude and Senioritis a bit more to myself. Otherwise I seem to stress them out even more by not being stressed out myself!

One coworker said to me this morning (when I commented on the general stress level), "You know, this plan of yours seems to be doing wonders for you. I can just see the stress ooze off. Almost makes me want to join convent." Actual quote.

Another interesting phenomenon this morning was sitting in a fairly high level technical meeting (read - in over my head) and having someone turn to me - more than once - and say "Isn't that right Susan?" or "What's your take on that." It seemed they had much more confidence in my knowledge and abilities than I do. I did my best, sharing what little I did know but being sure to pepper it with lots of caveats and suggestions to check the statutes. Moments like that make me realize that part of the reason the world is such a mess is that people around the world are sitting in conference rooms MAKING THINGS UP!!!!

No comments: