1.28.2006

reserve-less weekend

It’s Saturday morning. No groovy sister reserves this weekend. It’s my first weekend on my own in Portland in 3 weeks.

I woke up this morning sans alarm at 8:15 in my own bed. Nothing officially on my schedule for the day. Although I’ve got a list of chores – laundry, bathroom, vacuuming/mopping, kitchen. Plus I’d like to throw in a long walk. I also might go into the office for a bit this weekend. I had to leave yesterday right in the middle of a project. Had a beer with a friend last night. Might hang out with another tonight or tomorrow. But no major social activities.

All in all a typical weekend at home. The interesting thing???? It’s kind of weird to not be at my weekend groovy sister pad and have my Sister housemates just upstairs or down the hall. This is particularly interesting because I’ve always told myself I enjoy living alone. And to a certain extent, I do. But it also seems that this time of living (sporadically) in community is also teaching me that I like community living as well. And one thing I’ve learned is that community living in the religious life context is far different from just having roommates. Deeper, richer, stronger connections even though, as in my particular case, they are all old enough to be your mother.

Like I said, interesting. Lots to ponder on during my walk. In the meantime, while it’s a little odd to be here in my single life I’m also looking forward to a weekend on my own living it.

Just thought I’d share some of the internal workings of this groovy-sister-to-be.

Happy Saturday everyone!
Susan

PS – I officially and finally "unmasked" myself yesterday. You’ll see my full name is now listed in the "About Me" box to the right. I was never really hidden by a pseudonym, since Susan is my first name and Rose is my middle name. I just also happen to have a last name. And no, it’s not French. That branch of the family was German. It rhymes with "turquoise."

3 comments:

mark said...

woo hoo for unmasking! doesn't it just feel better not having to worry about that? i wasn't very well masked, either, but it's just been better since i stopped trying!
and i would LOVE to have a weekend to hang out in portland. i was there for a sunday, and it was great. so i hope you have fun on this weekend that you get to rest!

Anonymous said...

Dear Susan, I am very interested in the fact that you are becoming a Sister. My prayers are with you. I am curious: is daily Mass a requirement in your Order?
Martina

Anonymous said...

JMJ

Peace be with you, Susan.
Martina