2.23.2006

bad joke

I live in a particularly unchurched part of the country, the beautiful pacific northwest. Here, new age and earth spirituality abound, as do some eastern religions. Which is why I suppose I shouldn't be surprised by the reaction I got from not one, not two, but three people who I casually shared with today that I'm happy I get to get away from the craziness of work next week for my silent retreat.

They all assumed it was some sort of new age or eastern religion retreat. Not that such an experience wouldn't be great in its own way, but it wouldn't dawn on them that the christian tradition has such wonderful things to offer as well.

And then there's the comment from someone else who told me this horrible joke:

There was a young man in a seminary (I think he meant monastery but doesn't know the difference) where each year he was allowed to say two words in conference with the father general. The first year the father general asks him what two words he wants to share. The young man says "hard bed." The second year the father general asks him what his two words are. He says "bad food. The third year the father general asks him, and he says "I quit." To which the father general replies, "I'm not surprised, you've been complaining since you got here.

Happy to give folks an opportunity to tell their bad monastery jokes!

And as I'm working late tonight and probably tomorrow and perhaps over the weekend, I will be so relieved to head to the retreat center (which is in fact on the grounds of a monastery) Monday morning that it won't matter what the bed or food are like!

1 comment:

Michelle said...

::chuckling::

I know what you mean, though, about people being so surprised about any sort of meditative tradition in Christianity. While I've been learning from Eastern traditions (well, more East than us Byzantines), I find myself comparing and intermingling it with the rich tradition that already exists within my own Church. Like with yoga, when we get into a position and focus on our breath, I find myself using the Jesus Prayer (Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner) in that breath.

Christianity has such a rich meditative tradition. While I don't think there's anything wrong with looking at the traditions of others, it's not essential to do so if you want to do some good ol' fashioned chanting and meditation - or just sitting silent.

(I haven't been to Mt. Angel yet, but I always hear about it. Sounds amazing!)