2.23.2006

a salty peace?

I woke up this morning to much wailing and gnashing of teeth … on the radio. The mess that is Iraq has just gotten decidedly messier. I keep wondering when we’re going to wake up one day and find ourselves having helped start a full out undeniable civil war in Iraq, if not a more global face to the conflict. Hard to know from our sheltered American cocoon, but a keen eye looking at the current events of our time make one wonder. And worry. All the more reason to work and pray for peace.

So, those were my thoughts and prayers this morning when I read today’s Gospel:

“Everyone will be salted with fire. Salt is good, but if salt becomes insipid, with what will you restore its flavor? Keep salt in yourselves and you will have peace with one another.”

Hmmm …. If it’s a recipe for peace, I’m at a loss for how it works. I understand the insipid part. I think it’s fairly clear that most motivations of most parties on the global stage have entered some stage of insipidity. No matter what one thinks of the original motives, I think it’s now muddied and unclear. The purity of the salt is now in question, and it has begun to seep out to spoil the pot. Or something like that. But again, all the more reason to work and pray for peace.

Rambling morning thoughts and prayers.

No comments: