6.02.2006

the questions

Without wanting to set off any sparks, let’s just say that I’ve never quite gotten the whole Opus Dei thing. On the one hand, it always seemed both extreme and unnecessarily mysterious to me. And on the other hand, there’s the political conservatism that seems to come as part of the package. That said, when I saw the Da Vinci Code last weekend, I knew that this film portrayal was just a little over the top. It’s fiction, and not that good of fiction at that.

Mark pointed out an op-ed in the NYT by an Opus Dei Numerary (a lay member who works in the world but takes a vow of celibacy). He works at a State University and is open about his life … hence, he gets questions.


For the record, I do wear a spiked metal band on my leg for a couple of hours a day just like the movie's murderous Opus Dei numerary, Silas (that's always the first question). …

On my first day there, after saying I was in Opus Dei, one person remarked, "Wow, you're going to have to explain that." But I did explain — and for the last two months, I've done quite a bit more explaining. I've even made a point of wearing shorts around so that people can see that the thigh band, the cilice, leaves no marks. I have answered questions about what contemplative prayer is, about why Opus Dei has been associated with right-wing groups, particularly in Latin America, and about what "corporal mortification" — intentional physical pain — really is. …

So thank you, Ron Howard, for making it almost impossible not to talk about Opus Dei with my colleagues and acquaintances. You have made my job quite a bit easier.


While I am still no closer to understanding the “why” of Opus Dei and know little of the real “what,” I resonated with the writer’s description of what I’ve come to think of as “the questions.” It’s fairly well known in my circles now that I’m entering the Novitiate in the fall. And people have no idea what that means, though they usually have misconceptions based on an odd mixture of Nunsense, the Sound of Music, Flying Nun and Agnes of God.

But what I’ve come to realize is that there is a hunger being the unending questions. Most of all people are mystified that someone would a) really believe in God and b) believe in God enough to take that giant leap of faith to make God the focal point of their daily life. No matter how off the wall or slightly offensive the questions are, they are well intended and represent a hunger to understand and a respect for the path I’m taking. And annoying as it was to be outed in the local weekly paper a month or so ago, it has certainly made my life a bit easier. Whether it’s running into an old friend on the street, or a former coworker on the bus or an acquaintance in the coffee shop, it’s almost possible not to talk about my journey. Which means I have something in common with this Opus Dei numerary after all!


And for the record, "corporate mortification" and the wearing of spiked metal bands are NOT a part of my future. We don't have that much in common ;).

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure whether you meant "corporate mortification" to be a pun or whether your fingers just automatically mistyped "corporal," but I find it pretty brilliant in the context of Opus Dei, so kudos and thanks for making me laugh. :-)

Susan Rose Francois, CSJP said...

Totally an accident but so funny I am just going to have to leave the typo there!!

littlemissattitude said...

I've found that most typos are much more fun - and often more appropriate - than what was actually meant to be there. And I've seen a lot of typos, as I've spent a great deal of time tutoring college students. I was also official editor for by best friend, who is dxylexic, while we were both going through college. Having an editor is not cheating, by the way. In fact, one of my friend's teachers actually suggested that she get one, which is how I ended with the job. One instructor we both had during our upper division work, however, said that I should be entitled to half of her degree. :)

littlemissattitude said...

See...even I make them. I meant to say "...ended up with the job." :)

Anonymous said...

This started out as a small commentary and has grown into a fuller text..

Making sense of Opus Dei
Some reflections on my own experiences

Once upon a time.. actually almost six years ago, I graduated from a all-girls school (Colegio Los Campitos - www.colegioloscampitos.com) where religious formation was entrusted to the Opus Dei. So ideas like "santification of the daily work" and I cared about those teachings and met great people, some of whom I´m still in touch with.

Was I just trying to "fit" with the group I was in? Or was I seeking a closer relationship with God? Right after starting classes, sign I took part in a "circle", or prayer group at an Opus Dei youth house (where young female numeraries live), under the direction of a numerary. I quit it after some months, not because of a sudden rebellious bout, but the flow of new ideas brought by the beginning of college life and willingness of believing by my own choice, not by the teaching of others.

Almost two years ago, that I finally took up that path again, now through one of my university´s (a Jesuit one) youth groups. To write it shortly, through the Ignatian spirituality opportunities we received, I have been able to think and ask greater questions about God, life, society, religion and other subjects, more joyful and fonder of prayer on the way. So the second question posted in the first paragraph has become: Do I want to seek a deeper relationship with God?
Yes, and gladly so.

Now, in DVC times, I have felt the necessity of telling many around me that the Opus Dei I met is anything like the book portrayed. In doing so, I am thinking again what part did my Los Campitos past play in the person I am now? Of course, I do have lots of questions to be asked: For example, why didn´t we talk more about the Church´s take on social justice, having in the same building we studied in an afternoon school attended by girls born in lower income families?. I believe a greater degree of fairness is desired while one must talk about the Opus Dei (or any other groups inside the Church), so prejudices can be, at least, debunked rightly.

At any rate, I realise I have been blessed for having been able to live and watch how diverse God´s works are and at the same time, where they collide. How similar is to affirm "Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam" and "Seeking sanctity in everyday´s life" .. He is the final answer to it all.

Susan Rose Francois, CSJP said...

Thanks for that comment Estefania. I appreciated hearing your journey and experiences.

Steve Bogner said...

"corporate mortification" - I love it!

I don't get the corporal mortification and the air of secrecy, and so on about Opus Dei either. But I suppose we can look at it an another path, a spirituality of sorts that appeals to some. In that regard, it's useful (though I still question aspects of it).