8.09.2006

it's getting more and more real

We interrupt this work day with a lunch time post to tell you that it’s getting more and more real, this big life change on the horizon. I received an e-mail today with a copy of the draft program for my Reception as a Novice on August 26th. Quite beautiful really. It includes the bit I wrote about my hopes beginning Novitiate. Anyway, I was reading through the program to see if there were any mistakes or typos, when I saw it …. the words “Sister Susan,” referring of course, to me! That’s the first time I’ve seen it in print. Makes it all the more real. Let’s see, if today is August 9th and I become “Sister Susan” on August 26th, that means I have 17 days to get used to it! (Although I have a feeling it will take much longer than that to get used to it.)

I’ve already told close friends and family that I will always be “Susan” with them. It would be too weird to have them call me “Sister.” But I suppose I’ll have to get used to being introduced that way, introducing myself that way, and being addressed that way. And to be honest, I think it's important to be known as "Sister." I may not be wearing a habit, but that doesn't mean that I can't be a witness of Christ's peace. At least, I hope to grow into that role! It's a tall order to fill. But really, I do plan to wear my community's Peace Cross and to try to live up to the name "Sister." It’s all part of the package. But I won't pretend it doesn't feel strange!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And may I be the second. :-)