3.14.2007

4th Anniversary of the War

I find it extremely sad and disturbing that I have to post this. Last year I posted this picture on the 3rd Anniversary of our War in Iraq (which coincides with St Joseph's Day - I still wonder how he feels about that). This weekend while I am in Seattle we will "celebrate" the 4th Anniversary.

Since the start of the war
, more than 700,000 Iraqi Civilians have died. More than 3,000 US military members have been killed - almost 25,000 seriously injured. Over 250 military members from other Countries have been killed. At least 769 Contractors have been killed.

  • Pray for Peace.
  • If you are so inclined, march for peace - you can find an event in your local area here.
  • Or contact your representatives in Congress. Network, the Catholic Social Justice lobby - is supporting a proposal to do something constructive for Iraq. You can send a quick message using their Legislative Action Center.
  • If you are a blogger, become a blog for peace.
  • But most importantly, pray for those who have lost loved ones. And pray for peace.

God of Peace, grant peace to the people of Iraq, the United States and the entire world. Give us the strength and wisdom to follow the path of peace. May Joseph's life of faith inspire us to trust in your abiding love, especially in times of struggle and uncertaintly. We ask this in Jesus' name. Amen.

2 comments:

Kelly_SSJ said...

Since you will be headed out before you know it I wanted to wish you a Happy and blessed St. Josephs Day and Celebration. I am an associate of the C/SSJs and in discernment with my local community.

Anonymous said...

War is hell.
My freedom to write this and your freedom to express your anti-war sentiments, is maintined by the soldier keeping watch.