7.19.2007

what if we really believed this?

In Today's Gospel reading Jesus said to the crowds (and by extension to us):

“Come to me, all you who labor and are burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am meek and humble of heart; and you will find rest for yourselves. For my yoke is easy, and my burden light.”

What if we lived as if we really believed this? What would our world be like?

That's my thought for today. Or I suppose more accurately, my question for the day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have always loved that passage too - and it's one of the scriptural foundations for devotion to the Sacred Heart which has been important in your journey of late. When I was young I thought the text didn't offer us much of a deal - Jesus taking off one yoke and ploping another, his, on our shoulders. Then I read that a yoke was not something borne by one animal but rather something to link two animals together-to make them yoke mates in a common task. I love the image of Jesus as the yoke mate, plowing the same field in tandem with us.

Terry