5.03.2008

Visiting my alter ego

Many moons ago I took a silly blog quiz to discover what country I most resemble and learned I am no country ...
You're the United Nations!
Most people think you're ineffective, but you are trying to completely save the world from itself, so there's always going to be a long way to go. You're always the one trying to get friends to talk to each other, enemies to talk to each other, anyone who can to just talk instead of beating each other about the head and torso. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, and you get very schizophrenic as a result. But your heart is in the right place, and sometimes also in New York.
Well, tomorrow afternoon I am going to the United Nations headquarters in New York for the first time! I'm going to be there all week in fact, attending the meetings of the UN Commission on Sustainable Development with Sr. Suzanne, our UN NGO representative. How cool is that??


The UN Commission on Sustainable Development was established in 1992 to ensure follow-up on the Earth Summit. The CSD meets every year in New York to focus on clusters of issues. This year's meeting will focus on the following thematic issues: Agriculture, Rural development, Land, Drought, Desertification and Africa. The CSD has opened its sessions to broad participation from both governmental and non-governmental actors (which is why our NGO rep is going and I get to tag along as part of my ministry experience -- again, how cool is that??).

As a result, I'm going to be away from the blog this week. I'll be back home Friday night. Until then .... Peace!

2 comments:

Anne Welch said...

Way cool!

I hope you blog on your experience. I don't know what "sustainable development" means. It's a phrase like "lifetime guarentee." Whose lifetime? Sustainable for whom?

Much of the environmental movment seems very selfish to me. The Sierra Club advocates for 0 population growth. The Wilderness Society advocates for 0 population growth, and a halt to legal and illegal immigration. The ethonol to fill one tank of an SUV is distilled from enough corn to feed a person for a year.

May the Holy Spirit inspire the participants in your conference.

Garpu said...

One of these days when I'm in Boston I have to get to New York. The Hoopy Frood says it's nothing special, but he grew up out there. (Like the Salem witch museum. He says it's boring. I'd love to see it. Then again I probably feel the same way about much of the Lincoln stuff in Springfield.)