7.25.2008

ready to go

Well, my bags are packed and I'm leaving in the wee hours of the morning to drive down to where we're having our Congregation General Chapter for the next two weeks.

Since the years just after our founding, our Congregation has had three geographic centers: the United Kingdom, the East Coast mostly centered around New Jersey, and the West Coast mostly in the Pacific Northwest. We call them provinces ... after this Chapter, who knows what we'll be calling them. Regions makes sense to me, but time will tell.

In any case, as I've written before our Congregation Chapter is held every 6 years. The location for the Chapter rotates. In 2002 it was in England. 1996 it was in Washington State. 1990 it was in New Jersey. 1984 it was in England. (Do you get the picture?). That way each group of Sisters gets the chance to play host, and everyone doesn't have to travel so far every time. I think it's a pretty good set up.

This year the Chapter is in New Jersey. Hence, all able bodied folks in the vicinity get to drive down early in the morning and help set things up. It will be a busy, busy day. Some folks from England & the West have already filtered in as they are on committees and will be there early to help set up as well. The rest of the folks will be arriving Sunday, and the festivities begin Monday.

We've already had a few little reunions with some of the Sisters and one Associate from England who came early and have been staying next door. It's been so great to see them, and makes me realize that I'll get to see so many of those I was with in England and so many of those I know from the West and so many of those I've gotten to know here in New Jersey. It's like a homecoming of sorts!

I'm really quite excited. Just now I was thinking about the excitement, and what it reminds me of. I feel like a little kid the night before Christmas, wanting morning to come early so I can open all the presents! Except in this case the presents are dear and wonderful people I get to spend 2 whole weeks with. Lucky me!

I am planning to blog here a bit during the Chapter to share my impressions of this experience. Understandably I'll be busy, what with all of the visiting and, of course, the business of the Chapter itself! So, most likely it won't be every day but I will try to check in from time to time over the next two weeks.

Please keep our community in your prayers during this time.

Peace,
Susan

1 comment:

Kelly_SSJ said...

My prayers are with you all during this time. May you and the community have a blessed time of reunions...growth..learning..and just a bit of fun thrown in! :) And if growing pains set in...check out my blog...