7.25.2008

Friday Five: What You Absolutely, Positively Can't Leave Home Without

After an early birthday breakfast with my house (our Chapter starts on my birthday Sunday so we're celebrating today), I have a busy day planned with packing - both for the two weeks I'll be at Chapter and of course for the move. With this in mind I checked to see what the RevGalBlogPal Friday Five was this week, only to find:
We will be at a chaplain's convention when you all are answering the Friday Five Questions. I'll look forward to reading your answers next week when I get home. At the moment we are trying to get the car loaded so we can hit the road, so this will be a simple F.F. This running around madly in order to leave has me wondering: what are the five things you simply must have when you are away from home? And why? Any history or goofy things, or stories?
Perfect, so here goes ....

1. We're driving rather than flying this time, but when flying I now must have essentials such as underwear, meds, toiletries, clothes, etc... in my carryon. This was reinforced after my trip to El Salvador last summer when I arrived on Saturday and my suitcase arrived 5 days later!

2. My computer - even if there's no wifi connection, I'm now in the habit of writing on the laptop. I used to journal in actual journals with something called a pen. I now journal on my computer. I'm quite honestly not sure how I feel about that development, but there you have it.

3. Books -I always pack too many, but I'm getting better about that. Something light/fun, something serious, and something spiritual at a bare minimum.

4. Shoes - I always pack too many, but I'm getting better about that too! My feet are rather large, and so are my shoes, so it can be problematic.

5. Alarm Clock - I know, how predictable and unexciting. But even if I'm staying somewhere that has an alarm clock, I don't trust them. Or more accurately, I don't trust myself to set it correctly. I'm notoriously bad at that even with my own clock!

10 comments:

Di said...

I don't trust hotel alarms, either!

Sister Juliet, RSCJ said...

Fun post! Happy early birthday!

My feet are size 10--I'm always surprised how much room my tennies take up in the carry on. And I'm thankful that the socks fit inside!

Ditto on the books...but I'm getting better too. Just depends on how much "homework" I bring.

Have a great trip! I hope to catch up on your blog soon!

s.d.

Auntie Knickers said...

I'm glad you have big shoes to go with your big feet! (So do I, and little shoes would be a Bad Thing.) Happy birthday!

Anonymous said...

I'm with you on the alarm thing, too. When I'm in a hotel room, I set the alarm clock there, set the alarm on my watch, set the alarm on my cell phone, double check each of those, decide whether I mistrust any of them, call the front desk for a wake-up call, triple check the earlier ones, call the front desk to confirm the wake-up call, and then spend most of the night sleepless anyway.

Or is this all too revealing? :-)

Happy Friday, and safe travels to your Chapter!
warriormare

Mary Beth said...

Yeah, I don't even bother with hotel alarm clocks. I do a wakeup call AND my cell phone alarm.

Jan said...

I forgot that I always take my alarm clock, too. Happy early Birthday!

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday. Have a lot of fun.

What a practical list. Good idea about the alarm clock.

SisterChrister said...

happy happy birthday on Sunday! Also, know you and your community are in my prayers as you discern the future together. We're about to begin a chapter year too. We have elections in January and discernment is beginning now. So, I have chapter on the brain and yours will be in my heart. Peace.

Garpu said...

Happy birthday, because I'll forget!

My five things I need when I travel:

1.) essentials go in the laptop bag. I'd rather give up my right kidney than my laptop bag, so it's always with me.

2.) laptop.

3.) A knitting project.

4.) My breviary.

5.) My Nintendo DS. It has saved my sanity on many a cross-continental flight.

Processing Counselor said...

Happy Birthday! Mine was Friday the 25th! Great Play. I wear size 10's and always pack too many books and shoes, too. I find that you can't have too many of either.
I have an alarm on my new iphone, but I'm not bragging...well, yes I am.