7.10.2008

Transfiguration Moments

We've been reading Transfiguration by John Dear, SJ here at the Novitiate House. John Dear will be speaking to us at our General Chapter at the end of the month. One of our Associates invited us to read the book with her in preparation for the Chapter. We had a great discussion last month. Yesterday we had house retreat afternoon with this as the theme. There's so much in this book - you could spend a 30 day retreat on it! But here's a bit of what we reflected on yesterday.

We all know the Transfiguration story .... but take a moment to read these three "Transfiguration Stories":

The Transfiguration According to Matthew
Six days later, Jesus took with him Peter and James and his brother John and led them up a high mountain, by themselves. And he was transfigured before them, and his face shone like the sun, and his clothes became dazzling white. Suddenly there appeared to them Moses and Elijah, talking with him. Then Peter said to Jesus, “Lord, it is good for us to be here; if you wish, I will make three dwellings here, one for you, one for Moses, and one for Elijah. While he was still speaking, suddenly a bright cloud overshadowed them, and from the cloud a voice said, “This is my Son, the Beloved; with him I am well pleased; listen to him!” When the disciples heard this, they fell to the ground and were overcome by fear. But Jesus came and touched them, saying, “Get up and do not be afraid.” And when they looked up, they saw no one except Jesus himself alone. (Matthew 17: 1-8)

Martin Luther King’s Transfiguration Moment
I was ready to give up. With my cup of coffee sitting untouched before me, I tried to think of a way to move out of the picture without appearing a coward. In this state of exhaustion, when my courage had all but gone, I decided to take my problem to God. With my head in my hands, I bowed over the kitchen table and prayed aloud.

The words I spoke to God that midnight are still vivid in my memory. “I am here taking a stand for what I believe is right. But now I am afraid. The people are looking to me for leadership, and if I stand before them without strength and courage, they too will falter. I am at the end of my powers. I have nothing left. I’ve come to the point where I can’t face it alone.”

At that moment, I experienced the presence of the Divine as I have never experienced God before. It seemed as though I could hear the quiet assurance of an inner voice saying: “Stand up for justice, stand up for truth, and God will be standing at your side forever.” Almost at once my fears began to go. My uncertainty disappeared. I was ready to face anything. (by Martin Luther King, Jr, from Stride Toward Freedom quoted in Transfiguration by John Dear)

When Did We Experience Transfiguration?
If we undertake a prayerful review of our lives, we may recall a moment when we felt the presence of God, when we heard divine words of encouragement, when we radiated the transfiguring light of Christ, or when we realized the glory of God shining through us. The point is not necessarily to seek such moments or to cling to those peak experiences, as the disciples wanted to do on Mount Tabor. Rather, first and foremost, we are to seek God and do God’s will, to follow Jesus, and to challenge the principalities and powers that crucify Christ again today in the world’s poor. Transfiguration moments are meant to affirm the journey of nonviolent resistance. These enlightenment experiences are God’s way of supporting and consoling those who seek justice, make peace, heal the broken, liberate the oppressed, beat swords into plowshares, and reconcile humanity. (by John Dear, from Transfiguration)

Worthy of some reflection, don't you think?

Speaking of the Transfiguration, here's a great version of the story by my favorite indie singer song writer - Sufjan Stevens. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just met John Dear for the first time yesterday. He is so full of light and goodness. Very easy to be with. He graciously agreed to be videotaped for my blog ... hope to have it up sometime this weekend. Loyola Press, the Jesuit publishing house I minister at, just published John's book "Persistent Peace". Highly recommend both him and his book! Peace, my friend.

Esther said...

What beautiful thoughts on transfiguration... and such a lovely song! I didn't know of Martin Luther King's experience prior to this and am so glad I now do.