9.16.2011

Margaret Anna Fridays ... the Return

It's been a while since Margaret Anna Fridays have appeared on the blog.  Reviving the tradition, most Fridays, I’m going to share a quote from the founder of my groovy sisters, Margaret Anna Cusack, known in religion as Mother Francis Clare. Here is today's installment:



“My audience [with Pope Leo XIII] was entirely private, as I did not require an interpreter. Mgr. Macchi brought in the whole set of my books to his holiness, who looked at them, I think somewhat surprised at the number. Some of them were duplicated, having been translated into German, French, and Italian. ... His holiness specially commended the plan of my new order, and encouraged me in every way to continue writing. He gave his blessing to all the sisters present and to come, and to all those who would contribute to my work.”
~The Nun of Kenmare, 1889

2 comments:

Susan Dewitt said...

Does this mean that she spoke Italian? Or would they have conversed in Latin? In either case, I'm impressed!

Susan Rose Francois, CSJP said...

I'm thinking she spoke Italian, or else he spoke languages she spoke. She was a smart one to be sure!