5.07.2012

Language Lab

You Should Learn French

C'est super! You appreciate the finer things in life... wine, art, cheese, love affairs.
You are definitely a Parisian at heart. You just need your tongue to catch up...

Or re-learn French as the case may be.  In fact, I need to spend time this summer re-immersing myself in French.  But first, I'm trying my hand at Latin.  You see, next year I will be studying in a research Masters in Theology program that requires reading proficiency by the end of the first year in a modern research language (hence the French).  But as I am planning to study Ethics as my area of concentration, I also need to have some reading proficiency in Latin as well.

So, for the past two weeks I've spent an hour in the morning three days a week online for a Latin class.  Really it's like a semi-private tutor, since there are only two of us in the class.  Interestingly enough, the other person taking the class is also a Catholic Sister!  What are the odds of that.  My Latin teacher says it's certainly a first for him.

I did study two years of Latin during my first two years of high school.  But truth be told, I don't remember much.  Most of my memories involve my ill-fated attempt to build a diorama of pompeii out of sugar cubes.  Good in concept, but you try using superglue on sugar cubes.

July and August I'm going to dig back into French.  I had four years in high school, and lived in a french speaking country for ten months where I also took French classes.  Hopefully I can get back into the swing of things without too much trouble.  We shall see!

1 comment:

Garpu said...

Cool! Latin, for me, was hard because it's got a very small vocab (like Indonesian), so words can mean several different things. For me, it's easier to remember words in a language like German, where there's a specific word for a specific thing.