8.31.2012

Return of Margaret Anna Fridays - Labor Day Edition

Most Fridays I'm going to share a quote from the founder of my religious community, Margaret Anna Cusack, known in religion as Mother Francis Clare.


A distinguished member of the bar, who has read some of the proof-sheets of this work, tells me that my views of Political Economy are not likely to prove very acceptable to the public, and specifies the Pall Mall Gazette and the Saturday Review as probable critics.  I do not wish by any means to deprecate criticism, but I do no think that the writers in these or other papers would object to a better renumeration for female labour, and that is the one point on which I have insisted.  How many cases of suicide, and how many cases of real, literal starvation, arise from the greed which will not pay fair wages to the poor workwoman! How many girls are driven to a life which they abhor simply to get bread, the bread which is denied to them by those who squander on folly what is due to justice! ~ MF Cusack, Women's Work in Modern Society, 1874

No comments: