6.14.2014

Friends, Comps Questions, and Father Daughter Time

I've been back in Chicago since Tuesday. While I'm not taking summer classes, I have been busy. For one thing, my main task this June is to compile a draft set of 10 questions and bibliography for the comprehensive oral exams I will take in the Fall. My faculty board chair will then review them and we will revise them before I head to my Congregation Chapter at the end of the summer. So far, I have a good handle on 4 out of 10 (I think). This is looking more doable!

I've also had a chance to spend a little bit of time with friends this week. A group of Giving Voice Sisters are in Chicago taking summer classes at CTU, so we went out on the town on Wednesday, visiting the "bean" at Millenial Park, having dinner, walking around downtown, and eating dessert on the 96th floor of the John Hancock Building! Last night I visited with some school friends, including one who is moving out of town this weekend. I am so grateful for the community I've built here at CTU and know we will be friends for many years to come, even if at a distance.

I spent my first full day back in Chicago on Tuesday with my Dad at his assisted living, and I plan to spend most of the weekend with him as well for some quality father-daughter bonding time. This time last year he was still living in DC and I went to spend Father's Day with him there. We ended up spending the whole time in the emergency room/hospital as he had some health issues. He's doing a lot better these days and so hopefully our weekend is filled with movies, games, conversation, and fun. Maybe a few naps as well!

Things are busy, to be sure, but it also nice to have a bit of a shift into summer time where there is a bit more time and space for the work that needs to be done as well as the relationships and fun time.

I hope you are finding some of that time and space in the midst of busy-ness too!

No comments: