6.06.2014

Ministry of (Online) Presence

I'm pleased to announce that my second column has just been published online in the Global Sisters Report. Given the online medium, and my regular use of social networking, I thought it was only fitting that I reflect on the ministry of presence in our online world. Here is an excerpt.


I wonder what it would be like if we were truly present to the simple exchanges and folks we encounter through social media and the internet. Imagine if instead of approaching social media as a consumer of information and minutiae, we considered it as a sacred exchange. I find myself thinking of a greeting from the Hindu tradition, “Namaste,” a recognition of the divine light present in all of us. In our own Christian tradition, we recognize that each of us is created in the image and likeness of God. ...
Social media is just another human interaction, albeit aided by technology. As such it can build up human community, or it can tear it down. The difference in that equation comes down to a simple yet challenging question: how am I present to my brother and sister online?

Visit the Global Sisters Report website to read the entire column and tons of other great stuff! I am so honored to be part of this innovative project.

No comments: