7.25.2005

revgalblogpals

I joined a new webring last week – "revgalblogpals." It’s self described as "an open table set for a diverse group of people -- women pursuing or discerning a religious vocation -- and their friends." There are 24 places set at the table so far, but there’s plenty more room.

Most of the revgalblogpals are in fact "revgals" – female ordained ministers or those studying to be ordained ministers. Obviously protestant – the "female ordained" part gives that away. Then there are the blogpals of the revgals. Great blogs – I’m still discovering them – of mostly protestant women balancing lives of ministry and service and in many cases family.

Being Catholic (and I think I’m the only Catholic in the ring so far), I am not nor would I ever really be able to be a "revgal," at least not in the tradition I was born into and chose to return to. A tradition I love and feel called to be an active part of. Simply put, the Catholic church is my home.

As I’ve embarked on this journey of discerning a vocation to vowed life as a woman religious (nun or sister in everyday talk), I’m often asked about that other thing our Church has told us we’re not supposed to even talk about. Not to open a can of worms or anything, but it is like the elephant in the room.

I talked about it a little bit in my "Interview" from Kat (see question 2). And when I first started to seriously think that God was calling me to service in a more serious and all encompassing way, I’ll admit that I wondered myself. Was God calling me to something my Church did not recognize as possible? I can see how some women might get stuck there. They feel themselves called, but then they see the options closed off and limited from them even discerning if that is where they are being called.

In my case, I started by discerning the path that was open and available to me. And to my utter surprise and amazement I found that Catholic women religious communities are alive and well, albeit in different and shifting form from my childhood or the years even before that. I discovered women who are answering a call to follow Christ. To serve God’s people. To be a prophetic voice from the margins, calling our church and world to act with justice and to love all members of God’s family. They are vibrant, holy, energized and looking towards an unknown future. And I’m realizing this is I think where I’m being called. At least to discern further.

But as to the other thing I’m not even supposed to talk about. I’ve talked about it with my spiritual director. I have a feeling I’ll be talking about it more as I continue my discernment and eventually formation. But I honestly don’t know if I’ll ever know the answer. How can you discern something if that something is not possible for you?

Deep thoughts. In any case, I’m considering myself a "revgal," even if I'm hoping to add a "Sister" to the beginning of my name rather than a "Reverend." I’m planning to go about as far as a woman as I can in my Catholic tradition. I am discerning a religious vocation after all. And looking at vows of obedience, poverty and celibacy to top it all off!

I’ve ordered my revgalblogpal t-shirt from café press in any case. I went for the pink variety.

Read my new revgalblogpals. I plan to do so.

5 comments:

Talmida said...

I'm glad you signed on with them, Susan! I was afraid it would lack any catholic flavour at all. Now do you suppose they'll invite Velveteen Rabbi to join? or is it focused on Christian expression?

:)

Anonymous said...

Welcome, Susan! I'm one of those RevGals you mention. Yes, obviously Protestant, but I am thrilled to be ecumenical and hope we can be interfaith as well!

Karen Sapio said...

I'm sure the Velveteen Rabbi would be most welcome---and my husband is RC. (Only an naive catholic boy would be crazy enough to sign on as a clergy spouse, having no preconceived notion of what that would look like . . .)

andrea said...

I'm currently working on a degree in pastoral theology, and someone suggested to me that if I'd become Episcopalian I could be be a priest. But for as much as I like the idea of women priests, I can't leave the church that I (except for certain rules relating to women's roles) love.

Susan Rose Francois, CSJP said...

Good to feel the ecumenical/interreligious love!

Andrea - we love the church and so we stay. It must be better off, don't you think?