4.07.2005

Hmmmm.....

Hmmm…. looks like some people are starting to read (and link to) this blog, so if I have any remaining doubts about sharing this personal discernment journey with the world perhaps it's time to work through them!

One area of concern is no longer a problem … I'd posted a while back that I'd been "secretly" blogging. Hadn't told many friends, but more importantly I hadn't told the vocation director for the groovy sisters OR my spiritual director. Not sure what I was afraid of. Part of it I think was that while you, the reader, only know me through what I choose to disclose here, these others not only know more about me they are also a part of my reality. They are thus better able to connect the dots and judge the truth of what I'm writing about.

Who knows …In any case I got over it and have started spreading the word. Sr. Jo-Anne (aka groovy sisters vocation director) visited the blog yesterday and said she appreciated seeing the groovy sisters from my perspective and reading about my journey. Whew! This odd little blogging experiment of mine just seems "right" so I shouldn't have been worried, but a small part of me was so I'm happy it's all out in the open now.

Well, my lunch hour is almost over so back to work. BIG afternoon ahead in the life of this bureaucrat. I've got a City council meeting this afternoon where folks will be debating the legislation I've been researching and drafting for the past 2 years. It will be one of the highlights of my professional career. And you know what, I couldn't care less. I'm much more excited about my upcoming trip to visit the Sisters and hang out with one of my fellow pre-candidates this weekend. Like I've said before, funny business this figuring out what you're supposed to do with your life thing.

Peace,
Susan

5 comments:

Theresa Coleman said...

Nice to see another woman searching for discerment in the blogosphere.
Your name is like from one of my favorite verses. Cool.

~pen~ said...

oh, susan! the last thing i would ever want to do is upset, embarrass or mortify - i linked for the reasons i stated in my thread: i've known a priest friend of mine since he was in the seminary, but have never known a woman discerning her call as a sister.

if you would like, and it would be no problem at all, i would be happy to remove the link and leave all wondering about you instead of following your blog and/or decision making.

just say the word ~ i tried to get in here last night but our internet was down, so i am in between the homily and liturgy of the Eucharist during the Holy Father's funeral mass...

Steve Bogner said...

Transparancy can be a bit daunting, I suppose. But it may also help us expose that false-self and build our self-awareness. Having a public blog is good for transparency, I think.

And another aspect of this is that if your blog becomes popular, it's a good lesson in practical humility :)

Susan Rose Francois, CSJP said...

No embarassment, mortification or upsetness here. If anything, just amusement at myself. Why blog if you don't want anyone to read? Seems silly to me. So I'll keep blogging, you keep reading and linking at your will.

Steve - I like the idea of a lesson in humility. I could use that!

Today's Daily Dig by the way is from Thich Nhat Hahn … "Let Go, and respond to the immediate needs around you. Don't get caught in some false perception of yourself. There will always be another person more gifted than you. And don't perceive your position as important, but be ready to serve at any moment. If you can let go of who you think you are, you will become free - ready to love others. If you learn to see your impermanence, you will be able to live for the moment and not miss opportunities to love by pushing things into the future.

Jocelyne said...

Am also a "secret" blogger (my mom knows, but she is a bit afraid of my computer, so she won't read anything unless I call it up for her). I can't decide if my secrecy is due to excessive pride or excessive humility. Probably whichever is worse.

:-)